These breakfast burritos are in NO WAY Paleo or Whole30. No way. However, I do find them rather delicious, I’ve made them pretty healthy and they are perfect for a quick breakfast.
Since this pregnancy started, I haven’t been able to stomach eggs at 6:00 AM on the days I work, so I have tended to grab toast or cereal, which does not fill me up at all. By 7:30 AM I am starving. Of course, once I get to work I can’t exactly make myself some eggs. Enter…breakfast burritos, inspired by my very own mama. I can have something small like a banana to tide me over until eggs sound good, I pop one of these bad boys in the microwave and BAM! Nutritious and complete breakfast for me and the babe.
- 5 small potatoes, shredded. I use my food processor for this. Super simple.
- 2 t. Garlic powder
- 8 tortilla shells of your choice. We got large ones, because we eat a lot of food.
- Jar of your favorite salsa
- Monterey jack cheese, 8 oz block, shredded. Or whatever cheese you prefer. I do shred my own because it is fresher and has less preservatives.
- 16 eggs
- Salsa chicken. I made a bunch of chicken breast in the Crockpot with a can of salsa earlier in the week. What we didn’t eat in a few days, I threw onto the breakfast burritos!
- Peppers, frozen and diced. You can definitely use fresh. Frozen are cheaper where we live.
- Wax Paper or Saran Wrap
- 1 T. butter or olive oil
- Shred potatoes. Place in a large skillet with 1 T. butter or olive oil and cook until soft. You are effectively making hashbrowns. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, salt and pepper when cooking. You may need two skillets for this if you have small ones. We have a gigantic 14-inch skillet that held all of them.
- Shred monterey jack cheese. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, scramble up your 16 eggs with salt and pepper. Set aside when finished.
- Cut and lay out saran wrap on the counter. You want this to be slightly larger than your taco shells so you can make them into burritos, and wrap them tightly in the saran wrap for the freezer.
- Lay out taco shells to be filled.
- Fill each shell with:
- ⅓ C. hashbrowns
- 2-3 T. Shredded cheese
- 2 cooked, scrambled eggs (roughly ⅔ C.).
- Amount of peppers you desire (about ¼ C.)
- ⅓ C. shredded chicken
- When all ingredients are evenly distributed between the taco shells, wrap them up one at a time like a burrito, then in the saran wrap. When all the burritos are sealed and ready to go, pack into a gallon freezer bag and store in the freezer.
When ready to eat:
Pull out burrito and place it in the refrigerator the night before if you think of it. If not, just grab it the morning of. If it is thawed, heat to desired temperature in the microwave. If frozen, I recommend defrosting it first, or you will find yourself with a half frozen/half scalding burrito.
Top with your favorite salsa and enjoy!